Preface

Ladies and Gentlemen I am kind of proud to present to you my 4-year back and forth journey to Africa and some of the places in-between. I have compiled my emails, facebook notes, and select journals in chronological order for referencing, and back-up purposes and so those that are interested can follow my journey from beginning to the end-for-now. Re-reading much of what I wrote especially when I was 19 makes me cringe, and shiver at the way I thought, what I believed, and how I presented myself. (I am also quite aware that the cringes and shivers will never stop happening, no matter how old and incredibly wise I turn out to be.) However, I’ve decided to leave the bulk of my writings untouched as a testimony to the changes in my life. Now the posts not only document my trip, but my passage through romanticism and faith, cynicism and reality: ultimately emerging as someone altogether different.

November 5, 2008: Appropriate American Response to Uganda

Dear Ryan,
It’s interesting that you’ve asked me to do this, because “what is the appropriate American response to all that happens in Uganda” is a question that is constantly on my mind, and after my cumulative nine months in Uganda (I say it like it’s a long time, but it’s really not) I still have no clue. And I just got back to the States on Monday, so my answer today will probably be different in a few weeks, but there is one thing that’s certain… I go to sleep every night worrying if we: collectively as Americans, the organization that I work with, me… are doing more harm than good. That this new boom of volunteer action and missionary development is just another form of colonization, another form of exploitation that mistakenly clears the Western World’s conscience. But I’m still young, and fighting off cynicism as best I can, so I find peace knowing that I believe in what I’m doing, and hope with the greatest of hopes that it’s actually making a positive difference.

When I got this question from you I was sitting with my Ugandan friend James in an internet café, and I asked him what he thought appropriate American response to Uganda should be. And he said “I don’t know, they should send in troops, get rid of the rebels, and leave.” But the thing is, James openly admits that he doesn’t know either, and when you really talk to him about it, he doesn’t have an opinion, because unlike Americans they haven’t been allowed to formulate opinions, to think critically or analytically… so the majority of Ugandans just go with the flow… they sadly don’t stand up to westerners (whether they are NGO volunteers, business owners, or foreign government delegates) because they think we know better at all times… they don’t disagree, or speak their mind, or influence the aid-work, because they fear if they don’t say a certain prayer, act a certain way, follow what “we” think is best, they won’t get food, or medical care, or insert any type of aid here… And aid efforts fail because of it… the simple fact is: we can’t change a home that’s not our own, the problems are deeply rooted in a culture and a way of life that we can’t even begin to understand. So when the change isn’t coming from the Ugandan people themselves, assistance becomes a selfish western attempt to implement good intentions that will never work.

Anyway, what do I think American response should be??

*Get educated on the issues… this will only benefit Ugandans if it’s from multiple sources, and as unbiased as possible… not stopping at what one particular organization says.
Once aware of these issues, it’s important to evaluate and analyze what the roots of the problems are, not just identifying the results of the problems. And as aid efforts are discussed or chosen, it’s important to ask questions about the methods being used…
For example: we need to stop going over there and building orphanages, because it’s increasing child abandonment and dependency on foreign aid. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a child without any family in Uganda… everyone belongs to a clan, or tribe, and all the children have extended family around even if one or both their parents have died… so when the western world provides orphanage after orphanage parents are itching to give up their kids, because at an orphanage they get a bed, three meals a day, and schooling. Orphanages continue to break down the family unit, and perpetuate a problem instead of getting to the root of it.

*Spread Awareness… but only if it’s valid information, and a cause that is producing a beneficial response.
For example:“Invisible Children” here's the deal: there is no more war in the north… and if you go to their website they’re still advertising like there is… it’s actually safer and more developed in Gulu than in the southern parts of Uganda… and the problem is being exaggerated, and continued by an out-of-date film, and people that think the only way to keep our generation invested is by representing a war-torn situation. I think the projects they have running in the north are doing great things, but sadly those aren’t the things people know about, and the awareness they are spreading stateside is false, and damaging to a global perspective.
So before believing the awareness being spread, or spreading something false, check your facts.

*Become a part of something:
donate… your time, your money, your skills
NGO's/NPO's always need funding, grant writers, researchers, people to be involved, understanding the cause, and advocating for it. Again, do research, make decisions based on organization effectiveness, and where your heart is, and get invested in it… I don't think every American is "called" to Uganda, and I think we do the country a disservice if we just ignorantly write a check to organizations whose directors own three houses, and have a warehouse that you could play football in, or that in a round-about way supports a corrupt government, and then continue on with our American lives. If you're going to respond, respond with true investment.

American involvement in Uganda:
I think that if done the right way, on ground aid workers can make a difference, but I also think that this new boom of volun-tourism is, although helping make American youth better-rounded, it's doing more harm to Uganda. Kid's Homes become like petting zoos for short-term American volunteers to hold a baby, and then abandon it again… to feed people for a day, and not care about their tomorrow… If short-term relief effectively plugs into long-term programs, I think it's a different story, but on-ground efforts must be persevering, dedicated and long-term to really accomplish anything. The focus of this aid also needs to be sustainability and empowerment, teaching people to fish, establishing solid education, and developing Ugandan leaders, so that Ugandans are able to take their own country where it needs to go, while the American role is just helping them get the tools to get there.

On this level, I think our teenage and twenty-something romantic view of Africa needs to be heavily counteracted… Uganda and all of Africa is an extremely raw place… children are raped by their family members and/or friends, they die from preventable diseases and accidents, all on a daily basis… if you feed a whole community they will all be hungry again tomorrow, the people you try to help will steal from you, it is unsafe, and you will spend the majority of your time breaking down cultural barriers, and convincing everyone that you are not an ATM… and there is a never ending list of problems, diseases, people, that you can't do anything about. I think Americans who choose to respond by doing on-ground work should weigh their decision very carefully.

The bottom line:
The un-exciting, un-colleged, not-what-i-think-ryan-wanted-for-his-project answer is: our American response should start by changing our American mind-set… starting by not wanting more than we have… giving away our "second tunic"… discovering what it means to love. When we begin taking care of our literal neighbors, we can begin to understand what it means to take care of our global neighbors… We need to make our government a good example, so we can help corrupt ones change… I am a firm believer that individuals not organizations, relationships not projects, love not money is what will change our world.

Nicole