Preface

Ladies and Gentlemen I am kind of proud to present to you my 4-year back and forth journey to Africa and some of the places in-between. I have compiled my emails, facebook notes, and select journals in chronological order for referencing, and back-up purposes and so those that are interested can follow my journey from beginning to the end-for-now. Re-reading much of what I wrote especially when I was 19 makes me cringe, and shiver at the way I thought, what I believed, and how I presented myself. (I am also quite aware that the cringes and shivers will never stop happening, no matter how old and incredibly wise I turn out to be.) However, I’ve decided to leave the bulk of my writings untouched as a testimony to the changes in my life. Now the posts not only document my trip, but my passage through romanticism and faith, cynicism and reality: ultimately emerging as someone altogether different.

April 17, 2007: Contemplating Mosquitoes

I felt something moving on my arm, and I thought, I hoped, for just one second that it was a mosquito. I wouldn’t even try and swat it, I’d watch it suck my blood, buzz away, and scratch where it had been. But there are no mosquitoes in Colorado Springs… So I gaze down at the invisible piece of dust that must have landed there upon my forearm, and begin watching the television again. I long for Africa…

And I wish the tears that well up in my eyes would fall, but they don’t… they linger there and sting my eyes red, and keep bottled up the salt water, the down pour that I wish could be released.